Call for Expression of Interest for the proposal of a project led by a multi-stakeholder consortium on the theme: "Ecosystem-based conservation in the Pelagos Sanctuary"
The Pelagos Initiative is launching a call for expression of interest for the creation of a consortium responsible for the development and coordination of a multi-stakeholder project aimed at strengthening the conservation and protection of the Pelagos Sanctuary.
Context: Stretching over 87,500 km2 between France, Monaco, and Italy, the Pelagos Sanctuary is the first transboundary area in the Mediterranean dedicated to the protection of marine mammals. This area, particularly rich in plankton, harbors a remarkable biodiversity, including a significant concentration of various species of whales and dolphins.
In 2021, the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation (FPA2), the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), and the Network of Marine Protected Area Managers in the Mediterranean (MedPAN) joined forces to create the Pelagos Initiative. This commitment from civil society will finance activities for the protection, conservation, and promotion of the Sanctuary, in accordance with the Pelagos Agreement management plan.
Objective of the call for expression of interest:
- Support the creation of a consortium enabling transboundary and integrated collaboration within the Pelagos Sanctuary. Support a structuring project led by the consortium on the theme "Ecosystem-based conservation in the Pelagos Sanctuary”
Selection Process and Participation Modalities:
First Phase – Concept-note:
Submission Deadline : April 19th, 2024
Organizations interested in creating a consortium must submit a concept note of maximum 5 pages specifying:
- The project idea
- A description of their experience related to the project theme and the specific skills they bring to the consortium
The concept-note will specify which organization will be responsible for creating the consortium (lead) and will be accompanied by letters of intent from each organization.
The selected consortium lead will receive support of up to 25,000 euros to formalize the creation of the consortium and develop the final project proposal.
Second Phase - Project Proposal:
Submission Deadline: September 30th, 2024
- Project proposal according to the application form provided by the Pelagos Initiative.
- A document signed by all organizations involved in the project, stating the official creation of the consortium (agreement, MoU, etc.).
- The selected project must be implemented over 4 years period.
- Funding from the Pelagos Initiative for the duration of the project and for all consortium members: 1,200,000 euros.
- A minimum co-financing of 40% will be required.
The Pelagos Initiative reserves the right not to support the project proposed by the consortium if the project does not meet the expectations of the selection committee.
- The consortium must include stakeholders from France, Italy, and Monaco in an equitable manner.
- The consortium must include actors from various sectors (NGOs, private sector, AMP managers, municipalities).
- Only one lead organization will be responsible for coordinating the consortium and will be the point of contact with the Pelagos Initiative.
- The project must include strategies aimed at positively influencing local and transboundary marine conservation policies and/or changes in legislation and policies supported by political commitments.
- All activities must be linked to the priorities of the Pelagos Agreement Management Plan. The project proposal must refer to the management plan and indicate how the project will contribute to its implementation.
Meeting at the Pelagos Forum (March 19):
On March 19, as part of the Monaco Ocean Week, the Pelagos Initiative will host its second Pelagos Forum. This day will be an opportunity to meet new actors and potential partners, as well as to discuss priorities that could fuel projects. Participants will have the opportunity to better understand the expectations of the Pelagos Initiative and adjust their proposals accordingly. Click here for more information.
The letter of intent must reach the Pelagos Initiative by April 19, 2024, at 6:00 p.m. at the following address: email@example.com